As impressive as Pacquiao’s resume is inside the ring, his exploits outside the ring is seemingly unbelievable.
The greatest pound or pound boxer alive today is also a businessman, a recording artist, an actor and a congressman.
Yes, you read that last word right. He could probably be the only boxer in history who passes bills and resolutions while taking a break from whooping somebody’s ass.
Heck, he is now even called “The Fighting Congressman”.
Pacquiao’s first foray into politics was in 2007 when he ran for a seat in the House of Representatives in the May 2007 legislative election as a candidate of the Liberal Party, aiming to represent the 1st District of South Cotabato.
However, Pacquiao was defeated in the election by incumbent Representative Darlene Antonino-Custodio.
In September 2008, Pacquiao was sworn in as member of Kabalikat ng Malayang Pilipino (KAMPI), a pro-administration political party.
On November 21, 2009, Pacquiao confirmed that he would run again for the congressional seat in the May 2010 elections but this time in Sarangani province, the hometown of his wife Jinkee. He originally planned to run for congress under his own party, the People’s Champ Movement, but has since joined the Nacionalista Party headed by Manny Villar.
On May 13, 2010, Pacquiao was officially proclaimed congressman of the lone district of Sarangani. He scored a landslide victory over the wealthy and politically well-entrenched Chiongbian clan that had been in power in the province for more than thirty years. Pacquiao got 120,052 votes while his opponent for the seat, Roy Chiongbian, got 60,899 votes.
On June 28, 2010, Pacquiao took his oath of office as congressman before Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonio T. Carpio in the Provincial Capitol of Sarangani in Municipality of Alabel. He announced that he will transfer to President-elect Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III’s Liberal Party from Nacionalista Party as he wants to ensure the entry of more projects to his province.
* Leads opposition to the passing of the Reproductive Health (RH) bill.
* Has co-authored House Bill 375 on the workers’ demand for a P125 across-the-board wage hike for private-sector workers.
* Has filed House Bill 2379, which seeks to establish a tertiary provincial hospital in his province, to be named as the Sarangani Provincial Hospital. The proposed legislation is pending with the House committee on health.
* Has filed House Bill 2379 which seeks measures that would prohibit cellphone companies from sending unsolicited material to its subscribers via short message service (SMS).
* Has filed two bills on women’s health. One seeks to establish breast care centers in every region while the other wants to curb trafficking in women and children.
* He also supported House Bill 13, otherwise known as “An act providing for the safety and protection of the unborn child” filed by Paranaque Representative Roilo Golez.
* As of July 8, 2011, he has authored seven measures and co-authored 32 bills.
* He is also the vice chair of three House panels, including the committees on millennium development goals, poverty alleviation, and youth and sports development. He also holds 12 other committee memberships for the majority coalition including Mindanao Affairs, National Defense and Security, Public Works, and Aquaculture and Fisheries Resources.
* Last November, the House said in a statement that “inspired by the unprecedented feat of world boxing champion Sarangani Rep. Manny Pacquiao, the House Committee on Youth and Sports Development has approved a bill that grants P15,000 in monthly retirement pension for the retired professional Filipino athletes that won world titles or world championships.” The pension is contained in the consolidated version of House Bills 2094, 38 and 1964 principally authored by Puwersa ng Bayaning Atleta (PBA) Rep. Mark Aeron H. Sambar and Reps. Pedro Acharon Jr. of South Cotabato and Mark Villar of Las Pinas City, respectively.
Please read related posts below:
- Manny Pacquiao Campaigns for P125 Wage Increase Congressman Manny Pacquiao is now a staunch supporter of a workers' demand for a P125 across-the-board wage hike for private-sector workers....
- Manny Pacquiao Voices Stand Against the RH Bill The reproductive health (RH) bill is not the solution in alleviating the country’s woes, boxing icon and Sarangani Representative Manny Pacquiao said....
- Manny Pacquiao Tops List of Richest Congressmen in the Philippines Here's the list of the top 10 richest Congressmen in the Philippines where Manny Pacquiao takes the number one slot....
- Dionisia Pacquiao Defends Son’s Stand Against RH Bill From Sen. Miriam Santiago Dionisia Pacquiao, defends his son and is enraged with Sen. Miriam Defensor Santiago who criticized the boxer over his opposition to the RH bill....
- Dionisia Pacquiao Offends Gay Community Due to Anti-Gay Comments For defending his son Manny Pacquiao's RH Bill stand against Senator Miriam Santiago, Aling Dionisia earned the ire of the gay community due to her anti-gay comments....
- Manny Pacquiao Gets $65 Million Offer To Fight Saul Alvarez In Mexico The richest man in the world, Carlos Slim Helú reportedly offered $65 million to Manny Pacquiao to fight in Mexico against Saul Alvarez next year....
- Floyd Mayweather, Jr. Declines $65 Million Offer to Fight Manny Pacquiao Top Rank boss Bob Arum claims that Floyd Mayweather, Jr. was offered $65 million to fight Manny Pacquiao, which he turned down. Watch the video interview here....
- Manny Pacquiao Confirms Pacquiao vs Marquez III is a Done Deal Although he has not yet signed the fight contract, Manny Pacquiao confirms that the finale to Pacquiao vs Marquez trilogy will go on as planned....
- Manny Pacquiao to Guest Star on Glee? Rumors are circulating though that Manny Pacquiao was recently offered to appear on the hit musical show Glee. So, will we see a duet with Rachel Berry perhaps?...
- Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley Fighter Earnings How much did Manny Pacquiao and Shane Mosley earned after their superfight last May 7? Read on to find out....